Saturday, June 27, 2009

Surprised by the beat

This time of year makes me think about the years I worked at summer camp (and I’m grateful I’m not working there any more!) One summer my sister and I went to California to work at Camp Mt. Crags/Camp Gilmore.

A lot of the staff had grown up spending summers as campers there, and now were back as camp staff, so they all knew each other really well. So my sister and I mostly hung out with the foreign staff. As orientation week went on, our group sort of loosely formed into a pack of six – Jon, Marcus, and Ed, Melissa, Helen (my sister) and me.

It was a Christian camp, and our evening sessions often involved some singing. One night the camp cook ( who was the drummer in the worship band) cut his finger preparing dinner so he couldn’t play.

Marcus offers (in that understated British way) ‘I can play the drums a bit if you’re stuck’ and sits down at the drum set.

Well. Now.

1. Good looking
2. Funny
3. English accent
4. Plays drums

I hadn’t realized until that point in my life that the ability to play drums was a desirable quality. I think it was the icing on a particularly fanciable cake.

That was 15 years ago this week! He doesn’t get to play the drums that much any more, but he did make me a delicious cappuccino this morning AND change a ferocious nappy.

This story is part of my friend at Mylestones' Stories in My Pocket series. I'm not sure how to do the pretty link thing, but go to her site and read her great stories!

3 comments:

Jo 3:37 AM  

Jane!! I love this!! I don't believe I ever heard the exact story. I just remember that you met Marcus at camp and returned smitten.
So happy for you guys as you mark 15 years together. Oh, and thanks for a shiny happy smiling story. We needed to lighten it up a bit.

jsi 6:32 AM  

What a terrific beginning and a fantastic way to spend 15 years! God has blessed you through and through.

Anonymous 9:07 AM  

Aw! What a great story-- what a great way to meet! Isn't it fun and exciting to see all the different ways God brings people together? Congratulations on fifteen years! :)

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP