Thursday, September 07, 2006

Three Men

Surprisingly, since I usually only have room in my head for baby things (and a small corner somewhere for minstry) this week in our household we've been talking about 3 men and the influential week this has been for them. They are Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter, who tragically died this week; Tony Blair, the Prime Minister of the UK who announced his resignation in May, and a leader in our movement who annonced his resignation in October.

Although all three of these men had loyal followers and people who disagreed with them, I am somewhere in the middle with my opinion of all of them. But this is certain: all 3 took risks, some of which were foolish, some of which were extraordinairely brave, and some of which lost them a great deal of their popularity. And that is what I want to congratulate them for -- taking risks even when other people didn't always understand.

I want to try in my life to take unpopular (but not foolish) risks. As the poster in our office says "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten." (I don't particualrly agree with the grammar of the statement, just the concept).

And may God bless their wives and families who stood by them while they were taking risks, and are most certainly hurting now.

1 comments:

HS 5:55 PM  

Yes - ironic, isn't it, that in the case of at least two of the three you mention (not sure about British politics), the risk-taking ultimately was very costly. And yet if we don't step out of the boat . . .
As you remind me, we never make our choices in a vacuum, and my heart as well goes out to those who have faithfully supported those who go to the limits.

While baby things do take up a lot of room for a time, you are still you - and you can bring truths from the "baby things" to the greater Kingdom.

About This Blog

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP